Tuesday 28 October 2014

My conversion Story 1

I first came into contact with the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints when I was about twelve (12) years. I met a young single adult named Godwin who was a very good friend of my cousin. He told us about the church and about their beliefs and that was it.


As I grew up and went to the secondary (senior high) school I joined the school cadet and joined the martial arts group of the cadet troop. I met and made friends with Derek Kofi Afrifa who was a member of the church and a member of the martial arts group. One evening during preparation (prep) Derek showed me some material from the church. I later on found out that those material he showed me were his seminary home study manuals, he showed me a copy of the Book of Mormon and told me about the testimony of the Prophet Joseph Smith. We stayed in contact for some time and lost contact. When we reestablished contact I learnt he had successfully served a mission to the Nigeria Port Harcourt Mission.
                                                  Elder Afrifa is the taller one one the left

Back to the story I was sharing, I didn’t search after the church anymore until around August of 2009. I was living with my uncle and his family in Cape Coast when I met two missionaries who had come to teach someone living with us in the same apartment building. The appointment had failed and I had stepped downstairs to connect the prepaid card to the meter because the credit had ran out. They greeted me and were about leaving and I invited them in to teach me. I invited them to tell them they were wasting their time in Ghana. I decided to hear them out first and after the first lesson I became interested. They gave me assignments to read from the Book of Mormon which I did and asked me to pray about what they had shared with me. I prayed but I didn’t have any answer, when we met again I told them I had prayed and had no answer. We then read Moroni 10:3-5 together and I was taught the next lesson. After which I fasted and prayed and I received my answer and then the big step needed to be taken.

1 comment:

  1. I was looking for my name in here! It's a remarkable story, glad to have been a part of it. Miss you man.

    ReplyDelete