Monday 3 November 2014

My Conversion Story 2

I desired to be baptized but I faced challenges from my mom who was not a member of the church. She didn’t want me to join the church because my aunt with whom I was living when I met the missionaries, told my mom her cousin who joined the church was poisoned by church leaders. I knew the story couldn’t have been entirely true, maybe her cousin had indeed died of food poisoning but I knew no church leader would deliberately poison any member of the church because he was progressing. Many people whom I respected very well criticized my decision to join the church and it lead me to ponder why they were all vehemently trying to stop from getting baptized. I decided to find out more and advise myself accordingly. My uncle even decided to throw me out of his house if I continued to meet with the missionaries and my mom decided to disown me if I didn't stop meeting the missionaries. I still went ahead and defied their warnings and met with the missionaries. My uncle later on found out I had defied his instruction and told my mom about it. I had gained admission to the Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology to study Geological Engineering and my mom threatened that I didn’t stop she won’t cater for my tertiary education. I told the missionaries I would get baptized when I get to Kumasi and they gave me the contact to the missionaries in Kumasi.

When I got to Kumasi I lost the contact of the missionaries in Kumasi and when I tried calling Elder Strong, I was told he has returned home. I then returned to worship with the Presbyterians on the school campus for my first two Sundays in school. Then something very dramatic happened. I was eating I the canteen of my hall of residence, Unity Hall, when a guy approached me and asked my about the T-shirt I was wearing. I was at the time wearing a shirt which had the logo of the Presbyterian Church of Ghana and with the congregation’s name written boldly under it saying Ascension. He asked if I knew his grandmother who had served as a presbyter for that particular unit. i replied in the negative and told him I hadn't been there for long. I asked him where he churched because I hadn't seen him there before and he told me, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I was astonished and I told him I had been trying to locate the church since we came to school. I went on further to tell him how I was meeting with the missionaries in cape coast. He took my number and gave me directions to the church and promised to give my number to the missionaries. During that week I reestablished contact with the missionaries and on the 16th of October 2010 I was baptized into the Church.  I was confirmed on the 17th of November 2010. The friend who saw me in the canteen has gone on to become a very close friend of mine and his name is Cedric.

No comments:

Post a Comment